Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Student Walking on the Quad


What is your attendance policy?

Regular class attendance, timely completion of work, and participation are required. Failure to meet these standards may result in probation or dismissal. High school students are required to take all classes for a quality grade and missing more than a day will have a significant impact on your grade for the class.

Bear in mind that each Summer Session course is equivalent to 10 weeks of undergraduate coursework. Because Summer courses are condensed, 1-2 days of class is equivalent to an entire week of instruction during the regular academic year. Summer Session courses and grades are recorded on a UChicago transcript; college applications, including the Common App, will require you to submit this transcript when you apply to colleges.

How long will I be in class? How much homework will I have?

When considering how much work you will have, bear in mind that Summer Session courses are intensive and rigorous, and are equivalent to courses that last ten weeks during the rest of the academic year. Please consult the days and times listed under the descriptions of your courses, as your daily schedule will depend on your selected classes.

Students in the Pre-College programs can expect to have a full day of course-related activity, Monday through Friday, with a break for lunch.

For every course, you will have daily homework assignments, such as reading or problem sets, as well as more long-term assignments such as research projects, papers to write, or exams to study for.

Can I change courses (Add/Drop) during the summer?

Because Summer Session courses are brief and very intensive, we strongly encourage students to consider their choices very carefully before they apply. Course changes in undergraduate course offerings must be made before the second class meeting of a three-week course, and before the third class meeting for longer courses. Course changes in the Pre-College programs must be made before the end of the second day of classes. High school students in all programs will only be allowed to add/drop under very special circumstances once courses have begun. All changes must be approved by the Summer Session program staff.

What if the course I want to take is canceled?

Very occasionally, because of a significant instructor conflict or because an insufficient number of students have enrolled in a class, a course is cancelled. Students registered in a cancelled class will be contacted by the Summer Programs office and asked if they would like to register for an alternative course or program. If a student does not wish to take another course in its place, the student's tuition deposit will be returned. A course cancellation would be announced at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.

Will I have any academic or tutoring support while attending a Summer Session?

Yes, Summer Session students have access to experienced tutors and an academic advisor. Every weekday, tutors offer one-on-one assistance during drop-in hours. An academic advisor is available for student support, both by appointment and during drop-in hours.

Are there classes on July 4 (Independence Day)?

If July 4th falls on a weekday, classes will not be held, and University administrative offices will also be closed. Please note, however, that the University will not be closed on any other days surrounding July 4th. Students should expect to be in class on the days surrounding the holiday unless an instructor says otherwise. The dining hall will remain open, and the residential staff will provide special activities for students residing on campus.

Can I get my books before classes start?

Unless you are contacted by your instructors via email prior to your arrival on campus, you are not expected to have your books and other course materials before you get to campus. When you arrive, you can go to the UChicago Bookstore or the Seminary Co-op Bookstore to buy your books; we build in time for you to do so on the Sunday of orientation weekend.

Should I bring a computer with me?

While there are computers and printing facilities available for student use throughout campus, students often find it is best if they bring their own laptops with them. Some courses require students to bring a laptop to class; you will be contacted via email if you are enrolled in a course that has this requirement, and students in these courses who receive a scholarship or apply through a community partnership will be able to make arrangements with the Summer Session Office if bringing a laptop is not possible due to financial hardship. The main campus computing clusters support both PC and Mac platforms. Each building in Campus North Residential Commons has a 24-hour computing lab equipped with Macs, pcs, and Internet access. All areas on campus are configured for wireless internet access. Please note that there is a nominal fee for printing via campus facilities; see for details.

Are summer session courses for credit?

Every Summer Session course, regardless of length, carries the equivalent credit of one full-length (quarter-long) course in the College at the University of Chicago. UChicago operates on the quarter, rather than the semester, system; each course offered at the University during Summer Session is the equivalent of 5 quarter hours, or 3.3 semester hours.

Are you a current UChicago student? Learn more about how to register for summer courses and housing here.

How do I transfer credit from summer session courses to another university?

Students interested in transferring UChicago credit earned during Summer Session should contact the university where you would want the credit to be applied about their requirements for doing so. Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the recipient university. You will be able to request your transcript via your MyUChicago account after the summer quarter ends in late August.


For more information about how to apply to Summer Session, see a detailed outline of the application process at How to Apply.

Should I apply for more than one course? What happens if the course(s) I want to take are full?

Yes, you are invited to apply to multiple courses on your application. If your first choice is full, we will review your application and consider you for placement in other courses you listed. Complete your application as soon as possible for the best chance to take your dream class!

Students applying to Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars, and Summer Scholars must list these programs as their first choice.

I attended the program last summer; how do I reapply?

Students who have attended a previous Summer Session should provide their personal information in the online application along with the application fee and updated school transcripts. Returning summer applicants will write an essay indicating their interest in the courses they are applying to, but do not need to write a second essay, solicit new recommendations, or submit another writing sample. Simply enter "Summer 2018" as the first/last names of the recommenders and in the essay fields.

Applicants to the Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS) program must submit an entirely new application, including essays, recommendations, and transcripts, even if they were wait-listed last year, or if they attended another Summer Session program.

Can you waive the application fee?

All students are required to submit the application fee, including students who are applying for a scholarship. 

There is no fee for applications to the Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars or Summer Scholars program. Application fees are also waived for students applying through specific Community Based Organizations with whom we have a partnership, including Neubauer International Summer Scholars, Ivy League Connection, Mawhiba Foundation, Minds Matter, OSSE, Questbridge, Squash + Education, Success Academy, Summer of a Lifetime, and Summer Sisters. Students applying through these programs should contact the organization for details.

No other programs or students are currently eligible for a fee waiver.

Are scholarships or financial aid available?

UChicago Summer Session awards partial-tuition scholarships based upon an applicant’s demonstrated financial need. Students applying for scholarships must complete a financial aid application as part of their admissions application so that the scholarship determination can be included in the offer of admission. We do not offer scholarships to cover housing, dining, or fees.

My parent has not received the Parent Confirmation or Parental Permission and Release emails. What should I do?

Contact us at and we will resend the emails. Some emails have strong blocking systems, so please make sure that you check your spam filters.

My recommender did not receive the link to the recommendation. What should we do?

Include your name, the recommender's name, and the recommender’s email address in an email to, and we will resend the request.

Should I wait until my recommendation is on file before submitting my application?

No, the letters can be added to your application once they are submitted. You do not need to wait to submit your application, but we will not be able to review your application until we receive the letter of recommendation.

I have attended more than one school since 9th grade. Should I only send my most current school's transcripts?

Transcripts should include the student's entire academic record since the 9th grade, as applicable. Students who have attended more than one school since the beginning of the 9th grade should submit one official transcript for each school they attended. Students who are currently in 9th grade should also submit their grades from the 8th grade.

How do I upload documents after I have submitted my application?

You can upload test scores and any updated documents to your portal at any time by clicking “Upload Materials.” 

Please note that it may take 3 business days for the Summer Session team to mark the document as received.

Cost & Aid

Gothic ArchitectureWhat will be my total bill?

More information about your bill can be found on the Costs page. Costs can vary greatly by program, number of courses taken, and whether you are staying in housing.

Am I eligible for a scholarship?

Based on a student's financial need, we award partial tuition scholarships. Students who wish to apply should complete the scholarship as part of their admissions application, so that the scholarship determination can be included in the offer of admission. Our scholarships do not cover housing, dining, or fees.

When and how do I pay my bill?

Immersion, Pathways, Stones and Bones, RIBS, and Chicago in Beijing

  • Within one week of admittance, we ask that you pay a deposit of $1,000 on the student’s UChicago Account. This payment holds a student’s place in the program and can be paid using a credit card.
  • The full balance will be due within four weeks of being admitted to Summer Session.

Summer College and Visiting Undergraduates

  • The Bursar's Office will issue bills to the student’s my.uchicago account at the end of June and payment will be due in mid-July, after Summer Session classes begin. 
  • Unfortunately, we are unable to accept credit card payments. Bank account and wire transfer options are available.
  • Currently, the Bursar's Office is not able offer payment plans to Summer Session students.

Does the program fee include health insurance?

The University of Chicago automatically provides "blanket" accident, injury, and sickness insurance coverage for all Summer Session students. This coverage will be in addition to any primary health insurance students may already have. The cost of this insurance is included in the program fee for all Summer Session programs. 

How do I withdraw from the program?

All students who have confirmed their admission will be registered for in their course(s); if you decide to withdraw after you have sent in your confirmation form and deposit, please email us at Students are still responsible for the program fee if they have not officially withdrawn. 

Are my deposits refundable?

Enrollment deposits will be refunded only if a course or program is canceled, and the student does not select another course or program to attend in its place. We are unable to refund the $50 application fee and the $1,000 enrollment fee if a student withdraws from a program.

Is my program fee refundable?

Depending on the program and proximity to the start date, students may be eligible for partial refunds of tuition. More information on tuition refunds is available at the Costs page. Please note that the refund does not include the $1,000 deposit.

Can I change my housing arrangements (add/drop weeks or withdraw)?

As soon as you confirm your participation as a Summer Session student, we begin making housing and dining arrangements for you. Because of the extensive planning required in this process, these arrangements become final and binding on June 1. Unfortunately, charges associated with housing and dining cannot be refunded or reduced after this date. Please note that if you change your housing and dining arrangements (e.g., reduce your number of weeks or withdraw from housing altogether) after June 1, regardless of your program start date, you will still be billed for all charges associated with your original arrangements. 

Are Summer Session scholarships taxable?

Summer Session scholarships may be taxable. Consult with a tax professional for more information on your specific situation. 


What if there is an emergency on campus?

Campus safety for all is a top priority at the University of Chicago. Support is available 24/7, including health care, mental wellness, and a dean-on-call. For non-threatening situations on campus or in the residence halls, students will be able to utilize either their Resident Assistant, Summer Program staff, or the Campus Residential Hall front desk. If a serious situation arises, students should contact the dean-on-call or the University Police 24/7.

What if I need medical care?

Students have access to medical facilities, including the Student Health Services and an on-call physician for after business hours care. If a student requires immediate medical attention, the University of Chicago’s Medical Center is on campus. Residential staff members will be available 24/7 to help in the case of any emergency and contact the parent/guardian. All parents of minors are required to submit a release form authorizing necessary medical treatment in the case that the parent/guardian cannot be reached. This release is provided to parents after their son/daughter has been accepted to the program.

Preparing to Arrive on Campus

I’m flying from O’Hare/Midway, how do I get to Campus?

There are two major commercial airports in the Chicago area: O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport. Midway International Airport is approximately eight miles west of the UChicago campus, and O'Hare International Airport is about 30 miles northwest. Students flying into O’Hare airport have the option to transport back to campus with other UChicago Summer Session students. A staff member will meet them at the airport, and lead them to our shuttle service. An additional fee is associated with this service. Students are also welcome to use another mode of transportation to get to campus, including public transit, shuttle, car, taxi, Uber, or Lyft.

Go Airport Express is a shuttle service that operates out of both Midway and O'Hare Airports, and will drop you off right in front of our residence hall. To schedule and pay for a ride between the airport and campus, go to the Go Airport Express website or call 1-888-284-3826. Go Airport Express can also pick you up again when you leave for the airport. Let the driver know that you need to be dropped off at Campus North Residential Commons.

Can I check in a day early or stay an extra day at my residence hall?

High School Summer Session students may only move in on the Saturday of their Orientation and may only stay in housing for the duration of their session. All Summer Session students will move in for their program on the same day, as well as move out on the same day. We are not able to accommodate students before or after these dates. Students and families should plan accordingly.

I'm under 18 and would like to arrive early or stay and extra day or two for Summer Session. May I stay at nearby hotels prior to check in?

Summer Session students and families should note that the minimum age necessary rent a hotel room or Airbnb is 18. Students under 18 will thus be unable to rent and stay in a hotel room on their own. Students under the age of 18 should not arrive in Chicago before or stay past the check-in and check-out dates stated in their acceptance materials unless they will have a parent or guardian staying with them, and should make their travel plans accordingly.

Students are unable to check in to the residence hall before the official check-in date nor allowed to stay in the residence hall beyond the official check-out date given in their acceptance materials. Unfortunately, there can be no exceptions. This rule applies to all students, regardless of age. Summer Session students and families should make their travel plans accordingly.

I am a student under the age of 18 flying for my Summer Session Program. Do I have to make special arrangements for my flight?

Summer Session students and families should be sure to double check airline policies regarding unaccompanied minors prior to booking tickets. Different airlines have different policies regarding the minimum age to fly unaccompanied by a parent or guardian. These ages are not fixed. Please take extra precautions to verify an airline's age policy before purchasing tickets.

Housing & Student Life

What will I do outside of class, including nights and weekends?

The residential staff plans and leads daily activities for students to get to know each other, the campus, the neighborhood, and the city of Chicago. Students can pick and choose from a variety of programs to suit a wide range of interests, including low and no-cost programs. Previous events include trips to Major League Baseball games, the Taste of Chicago festival, "midnight" soccer, museum outings, beach trips, Movies on the Midway, and much more. All events are planned and led by residential staff members.

What facilities are available during the summer?

All students enrolled in Summer Programs for high school students may access University amenities while they are attending courses. The Student Life Fee provides access to resources like Student Health & Counseling Services, athletics facilities, and libraries.

When is Orientation and when can I move in?

All high school Summer Session students, both residential and commuter, must attend Orientation. Residential students must attend the entirety of orientation on Saturday and Sunday. Commuter students must attend orientation on Saturday.

Orientation Dates

  • Session I: Saturday-Sunday, June 22 - 23, 2019
  • Session II: Saturday-Sunday, July 13 - 14, 2019

High School Students should check in to the dorm between 9 am and 3 pm on the Saturday of orientation.

Due to the turnover of rooms, students may move into their rooms after 3pm. We will provide a secure location in which to store belongings.  Orientation activities begin at 4pm, so please arrive for check-in before this time.

Can I move in before Orientation?

High School Summer Session students may move in on the Saturday of their Orientation and may stay in housing for the duration of their session. All Summer Session students will move in for their program on the same day, as well as move out on the same day. Students and families should plan accordingly.  

When do I need to move out?

Students must check out of the residence hall by 9am on the day after classes end. Students in Immersion, Neubauer Family Adelante Scholars, Pathways, and UChicago Summer Scholars must depart on the Friday after their classes ends. Students in RIBS, Stones and Bones, and Summer College must check out on the Saturday after their classes end. 

Students may check out as soon as their course ends but must have a Curfew Release Form on file 24 hours in advance. See the Residential Policies section for more information.

Can I live off campus?

The Pre-College program is residential-focused, but we make exceptions for students who live in Chicago on a case-by-case basis. Please note that approximately 90% of Summer Session students live on-campus during the summer.

Living in one of our College Houses in the residence halls provides students with the full undergraduate experience, including personal and academic support from the Residential Assistants (RAs) and other students. 

What is the residential staff like?

Our residential team is composed of current undergraduates and recent alumni of the University of Chicago. Our RAs are here to make students feel comfortable in the residence halls, and to assist them with academic, residential, and co-curricular matters. Several RAs reside in each House on the same floor as the students. Our Residential Director and Assistant Residential Directors are available to students and their families, on call 24 hours a day.

What are the requirements to live in housing?

Students must be enrolled full-time to be eligible to live in the residence hall. All Pre-College programs are considered full-time programs. Students attending Summer College must be enrolled in two concurrent courses for full-time status.

What should I pack? 

Chicago weather in the summer can fluctuate, so make sure to prepare for the possibility of high heat (as high as 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit) and humidity.

Campus North will have a weekly linen service available. However, if you think you will want to have more than one pillow, a heavier weight blanket (Campus North is an air-conditioned building, and some students have found it a bit chilly), or a larger towel, please pack accordingly. Campus North features laundry facilities, but you will need to provide your own detergent, iron, and clothes hangers.

We recommend that you pack the following items for your stay in Campus North:

  • Light clothing
  • Extra blanket or comforter*
  • Warm layer in case of cooler weather
  • Sheets*
  • Umbrella or rain jacket
  • Towels*
  • Walking shoes
  • Laptop**
  • Swimsuit
  • Cell phone**
  • Sunscreen
  • Notebooks
  • Toiletries
  • Folders
  • Clothes hangers
  • Pens and pencils
  • Photo ID
  • Personal spending money
  • Camera
  • Laundry detergent Iron (if desired)

*The residence hall’s linen service provides a summer-weight blanket, sheets, pillows, and towels, but, if you are particular about your linens, you are welcome to bring your own.  All beds are extra-long single beds (36” x 80”).
**Computing facilities (including pay-per-use printers) are available on campus, but you may bring your own if you wish. WiFi is available in all campus buildings. Phones are not provided.

What is the curfew policy for students living on-campus?

High school students living in the residence hall must sign in for curfew every night. Following the City of Chicago curfew ordinance, summer residents must be inside the residence hall from 10pm – 6am, Sunday through Thursday, and from 11pm–6am, Friday and Saturday. Disregard for curfew can be grounds for dismissal from the program. Students who miss curfew sign-in will be subject to disciplinary action, and their parents will be contacted. Please see the Academic, Social, and Residential Policies for more information about the curfew policy.

Parents may give permission for their child to miss curfew if the student is accompanied by an adult (excluding Summer Session participants above the age of 18).  Parents should complete an accurate Curfew Release Form at least 24 hours prior to the requested release time. 

How do I get my mail? Can I ship items to myself?

When you check in to the residence hall, you will receive a room number. This will be part of your mailing address:
(Student Name)
Attn: Summer Conferences - Summer Session
Campus North Residential Commons Room XX
5500 S. University Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637

Mail is delivered once a day, Monday through Friday. Mail can be picked up at the front desk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The front desk will sign for all priority packages.

Packages that arrive prior to your arrival date or after your departure date will be returned to the sender. 

Can I have a friend or relative stay overnight in my residence hall room?

While guests are welcome to visit, they are not able to stay overnight in student rooms. All guests must check-in at the front desk, and must check out by 10pm. High School Program residents may not have non-program guests in their rooms past curfew, including relatives.

What if I need medical care?

Students have access to medical facilities, including the Student Health Services and an on-call physician for after business hours care. If a student requires immediate medical attention, the University of Chicago’s Medical Center is on campus. Residential staff members will be available 24/7 to help in the case of any emergency and will contact the parent or guardian. All parents of minors are required to submit a release form authorizing necessary medical treatment in the case that the parent/guardian cannot be reached. This release is provided to parents after their student has been accepted to the program.

What Safety resources are available?

In an effort to ensure the convenience and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and community, UChicago's Department of Safety & Security offers transportation, residence security, and 24/7 support. UGo Daytime and NightRide shuttles pick-up and drop-off within one or two blocks of residential and academic buildings around all of campus. All Summer Session residential students verify their identity with their University ID at the front desk upon entry to the residence hall. Summer Session students may contact the UChicago Police Department at any time, day or night, by dialing 773.702.8181 or 123 from a campus phone.