Skip to main content

Residential Programs FAQ

Course Information and Credit

What is your attendance policy?

Regular class attendance, timely completion of work, and participation are required. Failure to meet these standards may result in probation or dismissal. Students are required to take all classes for a quality letter grade and missing more than a day will have a significant impact on your grade for the class. Each Summer Session course is equivalent to 9 weeks of undergraduate coursework. Because Summer courses are condensed, 1-2 days of class is equivalent to an entire week of instruction during the regular academic year, so attendance and timely completion of work is critical. Summer Session courses and grades are recorded on a UChicago transcript; college applications, including the Common App, will require you to submit this transcript when you apply to colleges.

How long will I be in class? How much homework will I have?

Because multiweek Summer Session courses are equivalent to courses that last nine weeks during the rest of the academic year, the courses are intensive and rigorous. Students in the Pre-College programs should expect to have a full day (5-6 hours) of course-related activity, Monday through Friday. For every course, you will have daily homework assignments, such as reading or problem sets, as well as more long-term assignments such as research projects, papers to write, or exams to study for. Students in Enrichment programs will have activities scheduled for the full week that they are on campus. 

Some courses will have course considerations such as "reading intensive," "writing intensive," "discussion intensive," "math intensive," and "coding intensive" to help you understand the nature of the work or how the work will be focused in class.

I require accommodations (such as extra time on exams, note taking, etc.). How do I request these for my Summer Session course?

As soon as you have accepted your admission to Summer Session, send an email to Disability Services at They will work with you to determine what accommodations you are eligible for, and coordinate the support you need. The kind of accommodations you need for on-site courses and online courses might differ, and the kind of accommodations that universities and K-12 schools provide may differ as well, so you will want to request a review by Disability Services as far in advance of the start of your course as possible.

Can I change courses (add/drop) during the summer?

Because Summer Session courses are brief and very intensive, we strongly encourage students to consider their choices very carefully before they apply. Course changes in must be made before the second class meeting of the course.

Students will only be allowed to add/drop under very special circumstances once courses have begun. All changes must be approved by the Summer Session program staff at Students in Enrichment programs are not be able to change their program.

What if the course I want to take is canceled?

Very occasionally, because of a significant conflict or because an insufficient number of students have enrolled in a class, a course is cancelled. Students who are registered in a cancelled class will be contacted by Summer Session and offered the opportunity to enroll in an alternative course or program. If a student does not wish to take another course in its place, the student's deposit will be returned. A course cancellation will be announced at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.

Are there classes on Juneteenth or July 4 (Independence Day)?

Classes will not be held on either June 19 for Juneteenth or July 4, and University administrative offices will also be closed. Students should expect to be in class on the days surrounding the holiday unless an instructor says otherwise. 

Can I get my books before classes start?

In mid-May, students can see if their course requires a textbook by searching the Bookstore’s and Seminary Co-op websites. Many courses have readings that are available entirely online via Canvas that requires a cNet ID and password. 

Residential students are not expected to have their books before they arrive, unless the course instructor says otherwise. Residential students will have time during orientation weekend to purchase assigned course books.

Do I need a computer?

Residential students are strongly advised to bring their own laptops with them. While there are computers and printing facilities available for student use throughout campus, students often find it is best to bring their own.  Some courses require students to bring a laptop to class. The main campus computing clusters support both PC and Mac platforms. All areas on campus are configured for wireless internet access. Please note that there is a nominal fee for printing via campus facilities; see for details.

Are Summer Session courses for credit?

All multiweek courses open to high school students are graded (A-F), carry at least 100 units of credit, and have undergraduate-level course numbers. It’s important to note that, as opposed to many universities that structure their calendars by semesters, the University of Chicago operates on a quarter system. Each University of Chicago 100-unit course is the equivalent of 3.3 semester credit hours.

  • Immersion, Pre-College Connect: 100 UChicago units = 5 quarter hours = 3.3 semester hours
  • RIBS, Stones and Bones: 200 UChicago units = 10 quarter hours = 6.6 semester hours

The Enrichment program does not carry any credit.

How do I order or view my transcript?

To order transcripts, please log in to your myUChicago to view and request a transcript from the Registrar's Office. The Summer Session Office cannot issue transcripts; only the Registrar's Office can act in this capacity.

On your my.uchicago account, you should be able to request an official transcript by following these directions:
Students should select Academics (on the top left of the page) --> Academic Records --> Request Official Transcript

If you do not have access to your CNET ID, you can request transcript through Parchment here: 

How do I transfer credit from Summer Session courses to another university?

Students interested in transferring UChicago credit earned during Summer Session should contact the university where you would want the credit to be applied about their requirements for doing so. Transfer of credit is at the discretion of the recipient university. You will be able to request your transcript via your MyUChicago account after the summer quarter ends in late August.

If I take a UChicago Summer Session course for credit and eventually attend UChicago as an undergraduate, do those credits count towards my graduation requirements?

Unfortunately, these courses do not count toward graduation requirements. During the summer immediately prior to matriculation, incoming students are permitted to take University of Chicago courses. These will confer College credit. Interested students should see this page for more information.

Housing & Student Life 

What will I do outside of class, including nights and weekends?

The residential staff plans and leads daily activities for students to get to know each other, the campus, the neighborhood, and the city of Chicago. Students can pick and choose from a variety of programs to suit a wide range of interests, including low and no-cost programs. Previous events include trips to Major League Baseball games, the Taste of Chicago festival, evening soccer, museum outings, beach trips, Movies on the Midway, and much more. All events are planned and led by residential staff members.

What facilities are available during the summer?

Students enrolled in multiweek programs may access University amenities while they are attending courses. The Student Services Fee provides access to resources like Student Health & Counseling Services, libraries, and more.

Students participating in the Enrichment programs are subject to more limited access of facilities.

When is orientation and when can I move in?

Orientation dates are listed below. All high school Summer Session students, residential or commuter, must attend Orientation. Residential students must attend the entirety of both days of orientation. Commuter students are required to attend the first day of orientation only.

Orientation dates

  • Session I: Saturday-Sunday, June 15 - 16, 2024
  • Session II: Monday-Tuesday, July 8 - 9, 2024

Can parents and families attend orientation?

Unfortunately, no. Only students can attend orientation; family members who travel with their student should plan to depart from campus once their student has moved in to the residence hall. Parents and families will be invited to attend a virtual information session before students arrive on campus.

Students will attend required Orientation sessions after drop-off, and will not be available to be exempted from curfew or dine off-campus with families during Orientation.

When do I need to move out?

Students must check out of the residence hall by 9:00 a.m. by the day after their course ends, unless otherwise instructed. Students may check out in the evening on the day their course ends, but must have a Curfew Release Form on file 24 hours in advance and be sure not to miss any required course activities or exams on the last day. See the Residential Policies section for more information.



Can I live off-campus?

While most of the students in our in-person pre-college programs stay in on-campus housing, Immersion students who live in the Chicagoland area are welcome to commute!

Commuter students eat lunch with their peers each class day in the dining hall. They may also choose to participate in program activities and excursions outside of class, including late afternoon activities, that take place right after class, as well as evenings and weekends.

Only students in the Immersion program who live in the Chicago area have the option to commute. Students admitted to Pre-College Connect, RIBS, and Stones & Bones are required to live in on-campus housing, as are students who do not live locally with their parent(s) or guardian(s).

Please note that students who live on-campus gain the full benefit of academic support, building community and making friends with peers, and experiencing the life of a college student.

What is the residential staff like?

Our residential team is composed of current undergraduates and recent alumni of the University of Chicago. Our RAs are here to make students feel comfortable in the residence halls, and to assist them with academic, residential, and co-curricular matters. Several RAs reside in each House on the same floor as the students. Our Residential Director and Assistant Residential Directors are available to students and their families 24 hours a day.

Can I live in the residence hall and take remote courses?

No, students must be taking in-person courses to live in the residence hall. Students in Pre-College Summer Language Institute, Summer College, or Summer Online cannot live in the residence hall. Students in Pre-College can only live in the residence hall during the last week of the program. 

What should I pack?

Chicago weather in the summer can fluctuate, so prepare for the possibility of high heat, as high as 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit/33-35 degrees Celsius, and humidity.

The residence halls are air-conditioned, and some students have found it a bit chilly. For example, if you think you would like more than one pillow, a heavier weight blanket, or a larger towel, please bring these items with you or plan to purchase them after you arrive. All beds are extra-long single beds (36” x 80”). Please also note that laundry facilities are available, but you will need to provide your own iron and clothes hangers.

We recommend that you pack the following items for your stay:

  • Light clothing
  • Warm layer in case of cooler weather
  • Extra blanket or comforter*
  • Sheets and pillowcase for extra-long twin bed (36" x 80")*
  • Towels*
  • Umbrella or rain jacket
  • Walking shoes
  • Laptop**
  • Swimsuit
  • Cell phone**
  • Sunscreen
  • Notebooks
  • Toiletries
  • Folders
  • Clothes hangers
  • Pens and pencils
  • Photo ID
  • Personal spending money
  • Camera
  • Iron (if desired)

*The residence hall’s linen service provides a summer-weight blanket, sheets, pillows, and towels, but, if you are particular about your linens, you should bring your own. All beds are extra-long single beds (36” x 80”).

**Computing facilities (including pay-per-use printers) are available on campus, but you may bring your own if you wish. WiFi is available in all campus buildings. Phones are not provided.

What is the curfew policy for students living on-campus?

High school students living in the residence hall must sign in for curfew every night. Following the City of Chicago curfew ordinance, summer residents must be inside the residence hall from 10:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. Disregard for curfew can be grounds for dismissal from the program. Students who miss curfew sign-in will be subject to disciplinary action, and their parents will be contacted. Please see the Academic, Social, and Residential Policies for more information about the curfew policy.

Parents may give permission for their child to miss curfew if the student is accompanied by an adult. Parents should complete an accurate Curfew Release Form at least 24 hours prior to the requested release time.

How do I get my mail? Can I ship items to myself?

When you check in to the residence hall, you will receive a room number. This will be part of your mailing address.

For minor students:
(Student Name)
Attn: Summer Conferences - Summer Session
Woodlawn Residential Commons Room XX
1156 East 61st St.
Chicago, IL 60637

For students 18 and older:
(Student Name)
Attn: Summer Conferences - Summer Session
Granville-Grossman Residential Commons Room XX
6031 S. Ellis Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637

Mail is delivered once a day, Monday through Friday. Mail can be picked up at the front desk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The front desk will sign for all priority packages.

Packages that arrive prior to your arrival date or after your departure date will be returned to the sender.

Can I have a friend or relative stay overnight in my residence hall room?

While guests are welcome to visit, they cannot stay overnight in student rooms. All guests must check-in at the front desk, and must check out by 10:00 p.m. High School Program residents may not have non-program guests in their rooms past curfew, including relatives.

What if I need medical care?

Students in multiweek programs have access to medical facilities, including the Student Health Services and an on-call physician for after business hours care. If a student requires immediate medical attention, the University of Chicago’s Medical Center is on campus. Residential staff members will be available 24/7 to help in the case of any emergency and will contact the parent or guardian. All parents of minors are required to submit a release form authorizing necessary medical treatment in the case that the parent/guardian cannot be reached. This release is provided to parents after their student has been accepted to the program.

What safety resources are available?

To ensure the safety and convenience of our students, faculty, staff, and community, UChicago's Department of Safety & Security provides residence security, transportation, and 24/7 support. Residence halls are always fully staffed with security personnel, and all entrances and exits are fully secured. Summer Session residential students verify their identity with their University ID at the front desk upon entry to the residence hall. For transportation, UGo Daytime and NightRide shuttles pick-up and drop-off within one or two blocks of residential and academic buildings around all of campus. Summer Session students may contact the UChicago Police Department at any time, day or night, by dialing 773.702.8181 or 123 from a campus phone.

What if there is an emergency on campus?

Campus safety for all is a top priority at the University of Chicago. Support is available 24/7, including health care, mental wellness, and a dean-on-call. For non-threatening situations on campus or in the residence halls, students will be able to utilize either their Resident Assistant, Summer Program staff, or the Campus Residential Hall front desk. If a serious situation arises, students should contact the dean-on-call or the University Police 24/7.

Preparing to Arrive on Campus 

I’m flying from O’Hare/Midway, how do I get to campus?

There are two major commercial airports in the Chicago area: O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport. O'Hare International Airport is about 30 miles northwest of campus, and Midway International Airport is approximately eight miles west of the UChicago campus. Students flying into O’Hare airport on June 15 or July 8 have the option for shuttle service to campus with other UChicago Summer Session students. A staff member will greet them at the airport and lead them to our shuttle service. An additional fee is associated with this service. Students are also welcome to use another mode of transportation to get to campus, including public transit, shuttle, car, taxi, Uber, or Lyft.

I am a student under the age of 18 flying for my Summer Session program. Do I have to make special arrangements for my flight?

Summer Session students and families should be sure to double check airline policies regarding unaccompanied minors prior to booking tickets. Different airlines have different policies regarding the minimum age to fly unaccompanied by a parent or guardian. These ages are not consistent across all airlines. Please take extra precautions to verify an airline's age policy before purchasing tickets.

Can I check in a day early or stay an extra day at my residence hall?

No. We have several different programs running during the summer. There is no additional capacity prior to the start of a course or afterwards. If you need additional accommodations, you will need to make your own arrangements. Pre-College Summer Session students may move in on the first day of their Orientation and may stay in housing for the duration of their session. All Summer Session students will move in for their program on the same day and move out on the same day.

I’m under 18 and would like to arrive early or stay an extra day or two for Summer Session. May I stay at nearby hotels prior to check in?

Summer Session students and families should note that the minimum age necessary rent a hotel room or Airbnb is 18 years of age. Students under 18 cannot rent and stay in a hotel room on their own, and so should not arrive in Chicago before or stay past the check-in and check-out dates stated in their admissions materials unless they will have a parent or guardian with them.

We have several different programs running during the summer. There is no additional capacity prior to the start of a course or afterwards. Students cannot check in to the residence hall before the official check-in date and cannot stay in the residence hall after the official check-out date given in their admissions materials. Unfortunately, there can be no exceptions. This rule applies to all students, regardless of age. Summer Session students and families should make travel plans accordingly.