Biotechnology for the 21st Century
We are no longer admitting high school students to the 2018 Summer Session.
This course is designed to provide a stimulating introduction to the world of biotechnology. Starting with an overview of the basic concepts of molecular biology and genetics that serve as a foundation for biotechnology, the course will segue into the various applied fields of biotechnology. Lectures and some of the corresponding hands on experiments will include microbial biotechnology, agricultural biotechnology, biofuels, cloning, bioremediation, medical biotechnology, DNA fingerprinting and forensics. The goal of this course is to provide students with an appreciation of important biotechnology breakthroughs, the techniques involved and the associated bioethics issues.
- Students who apply will be admitted using rolling admission and require a $50 application fee.
- The Summer Session application deadline is May 1, 2018. Students may apply after this deadline, but will be required to pay an additional $100 rush processing fee.
- For all courses still open, international students must submit all application materials before April 9.
- For domestic students, rolling admissions will typically close by early May; this may be earlier for specific programs that fill.
- Prerequisite: 1 year of high school Biology.
- Enrollment limited to 22.
- This course is open to high school students only.
Total Cost (includes Tuition, Housing and Dining, and Fees): $6,500.
Complete Cost & Aid Information (including housing and other fees) for high school students can be found here.
Complete Cost & Aid Information (including housing and other fees) for undergraduates can be found here.