Skip to main content

International Students

A Global Campus

Boasting a campus community where 24% of the student population is international, the University of Chicago embraces diversity of thought, opinion, and perspective in its pursuit of rigorous intellectual inquiry and discourse. Join fellow academically curious and talented students from across the globe. Choose from a wide variety of courses for high school and undergraduate students that blend interdisciplinary discourse, fearless inquiry, and a splash of fun!

Course Descriptions

Discover the awesome course opportunities this summer at the University of Chicago. Within a supportive college community, students from all over the globe are exposed to diverse ideas in classrooms taught by world-class faculty and instructors. In the classroom, students are given the chance to take intellectual risks, dive deeper into subject matter, and discuss questions that go beyond the realm of their curriculum. 

Learn more about courses available to high school students and visiting undergraduate students.

How to Apply

Learn more about the Summer Program application requirements and deadlines. To read about the materials you need to apply, rolling deadlines, and to start your application for a summer at UChicago, click here. 

Join our mailing list to keep up with new course offerings and application information.

"People in my class came from at least four different countries. Thus, while I learned about science, I also learned about different cultures. Diversity also extended beyond ethnicity. We had different personalities, religions, ages, and background experiences, and the variety created a positive, nonjudgmental learning environment."

Isabella T., Contagion: Infections Agents & Diseases

International Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can international students apply to the UChicago Summer Session?

Yes, international high school and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply to the UChicago Summer Session. Summer 2021 will be held remotely, with courses offering a mix of required synchronous sessions and asynchronous activities. Instructors understand that students will participate from all over the world, and will be on many different time zones. While they will try to be flexible, it is tough to find a time for everyone, so we ask for flexibility with your schedules. This may mean staying up late or waking up early to attend synchronous sessions.

For in-person programs, international students enrolled full time for credit are eligible for an I-20 (F1 student visa eligibility document). For high school students, full-time status is achieved through enrollment in an Immersion or Pre-College Summer Language Institute or enrollment in two concurrent Summer College courses. For Visiting Students, full-time status is achieved through enrollment in two concurrent undergraduate courses.

Do you require TOEFL scores for international students?

Competence in English must be demonstrated in order to qualify for admission. Applicants who are natives of the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries where English is one of the official languages and the primary language of instruction in their schools has been English do not need to submit English proficiency test results.

All other international applicants must submit results from the Duolingo English Test (DET), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). We strongly recommend a score of 104 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL, with subscores of 26 each. Minimum required scores on the IELTS (students must take the Academic test, not the General Training test) are an overall score of 7, with subscores of 7 each. The minimum acceptable score on the DET is 120.


The only exception to the English language proficiency requirement is for applicants who have studied in full-time status for at least two full academic years within the last five years at a high school or college where the primary language of instruction is English, engaging in a regular academic curriculum taught in English (in other words, not engaged in English as a Second Language or similar coursework), in a country where English is one of the official languages. Students must submit transcripts that demonstrate that they meet the conditions for a waiver of the English language proficiency requirement. 

Students who have studied in English in other countries are not exempt from the English language proficiency requirement.

If students meet the above conditions for eligibility, they should submit a written request for a waiver of the requirement to They will receive a confirmation of their waiver eligibility and application instructions via email.

Eligible students may still be required to participate in an Academic English Proficiency Assessment (AEPA) to confirm proficiency.

  • Applicants who do not have TOEFL or IELTS scores may participate in an Academic English Proficiency Assessment (AEPA). The AEPA takes the form of an interview via web conference with a trained evaluator at the University of Chicago. The results of this assessment will help the Summer Session Office make a final decision on your application; participating in an assessment does not guarantee admission to the program. There is an additional fee of $70 for applicants who participate in an AEPA.
  • To request an AEPA, contact the Summer Session staff at They will guide you through the process of scheduling your AEPA and paying the additional AEPA fee.
  • You must have submitted your application and paid your application fee in order to schedule an AEPA, and you will not receive an admissions decision until your AEPA results have been received by the Summer Session Office. The application fee and the AEPA fee are nonrefundable.
  • Academic English Proficiency Assessments should be completed before the application deadline for your particular program. We recommend that you request one as early as possible, and no later than two weeks before your application materials are due.
  • If you elect to participate in an AEPA, please enter “00” as your TOEFL scores on your application. (The system will not allow you to submit an application without entering TOEFL scores.).

Do you accept international transcripts as part of the application process?

Yes. High School Students should submit transcripts electronically. If a student’s transcripts are not in English, they will need to provide an officially prepared English translation and submit that in addition to the original documentation. Please note that we require transcripts from Grade 9 through a student’s most recently completed academic quarter or semester. If a student is currently in 9th grade, we ask that they also submit grades from 8th grade. Visiting Undergraduates may submit their undergraduate transcripts online as part of the application process.

Do I need to convert my grade point average (GPA) to a 4.0 scale?

No, grades and grade point average should be kept in their original format.

Are there scholarships available for international students?

A limited number of partial tuition scholarships are available to high school students who demonstrate both financial need. These awards cover a portion of tuition costs only.

We also have two scholarship programs available for international students that provide students the opportunity to take a Summer Session course without cost. High school students from Latin America may apply to be a part of the Latin American Phoenix Scholars Program, which provides a select number of students with full scholarships. In addition, high school students who are currently enrolled in a UWC school are also eligible for the UWC Global Academy Program, which also provides selected students the opportunity to take a course free of charge.

Can I substitute SAT, AP or A-Level results for the English proficiency exam requirement?

No, students who do not qualify for an English proficiency waiver must submit the TOEFL, IELTS, or AEPA to be considered for admission.

In-Person Programs

How do I know if I need to request an I-20/DS-2019 (Student visa eligibility document)?

Most International Students will need to request an I-20/DS-2019 to attend Summer Session in-person. Please use this chart to confirm. If you cannot find your current status on the chart please contact the Summer Session Office and we can help you. Please see more information at the Office of International Affairs website.

Will I be required to get a student visa?

Yes, international students studying in-person at the University of Chicago will need an F-1 student visa. 

Do I still need to apply for a student visa if: I have a tourist visa and have entered the U.S. without a student visa before; I have an ESTA; or my country has an agreement/visa exchange policy with the U.S.?

Yes. Entering the United States to take credit classes under a tourist visa is a violation of visa status. If a student if found to be in violation of visa status it will make getting a visa in the future VERY difficult. For credit study is NOT allowed under the Visa Waiver Program or ESTA.

As a Canadian citizen, do I need to apply for a student visa?

Canadian citizens coming to the United States to study full-time should obtain an I-20 Certificate, but are not required to get a visa stamp in their passport.