Summer Language Institute in Arabic and Chinese for Chicago Public Schools High School Students
Chicago Public School (CPS) high school students studying Arabic or Chinese can apply to take a free 4-week summer language course at the University of Chicago in a program funded by STARTALK.
Designed by the University of Chicago and the CPS Office of Language and Cultural Education, the STARTALK program offers students the opportunity to immerse themselves in language courses during the summer and advance in their language program as they enter the next year of high school. Each course is taught entirely in Arabic or Chinese using a variety of creative teaching methods and cultural instruction in areas of music, painting, calligraphy, and dance. Courses will include field trips, guest speakers, and special activities, including an information session with the University of Chicago College Admissions.
CPS students who will be taking their third or fourth year of high school classes in Chinese or second or third year of high school classes in Arabic in the 2018-2019 school year are eligible to apply.
COURSE CODE: ARAB 20100 // CHIN 20101
- Applications are due on April 16, 2018. There is no application fee.
- Please submit all materials electronically through the UChicago Summer Session Account. We are not able to accept hard copies dropped off or mailed to our office.
- The online application and all supplementary materials must be received by the deadline.
- The program is open to students that are currently enrolled in CPS High Schools as freshmen, sophomores, or juniors, and
- Currently enrolled in Chinese Year/Level 2 or 3 OR Arabic Year/Level 1 or 2, and
- Will enroll in Chinese Year/Level 3 or 4 OR Arabic Year/Level 2 or 3 in CPS for the 2018-2019 school year
- Applicants must submit school transcripts for grades 9, 10, and/or 11 (as applicable) by uploading a scanned copy of the transcript within the application. If recent grades are not yet available on your transcript, please submit a recent grade report. If your school does not permit you to access a copy of your transcript, please have them email us a copy at email@example.com
- Applicants will be prompted to enter the name and email address of a current Arabic or Chinese teacher. Teachers will receive a unique link to submit a letter of recommendation electronically, and do not have to submit individual letters via email or mail. Please be sure to ask your teacher in advance, so they are aware they will receive an electronic request
- Enrollment in each course will be capped at 15 students.
- Orientation for the course will take place on June 16.
- The course will begin on July 2, 2018 and ends on July 27, 2018.
- This course is open to CPS high school students only.
- All participants will have access to a transcript containing their grade in the University of Chicago language course. You may request this transcript at any time —for college admissions and beyond.
Costs & Aid
- There is no application fee or tuition fee associated with the course.
- All course materials, including textbooks, are provided free of charge.
- Free lunch is provided each day in a University dining hall.
- A CTA pass will be provided for travel to and from the University of Chicago campus.