Frequently Asked Questions

Join us this summer at UChicago. Apply Now

UChicago students studying

High School Students FAQs

Have a question about Summer Session? Take a look at the frequently asked questions below, and you’ll probably find the answer. If not, please contact us at so that we may help you.

Application Questions

Don’t forget: the Apply page provides a detailed outline of the application process!

Should I apply for a 1st and 2nd choice program? What happens if the course(s) I want to take are full?
You should only apply for your 1st choice course(s)/program(s). If the course or program for which you apply is full, you will be contacted by our office and asked if you would like to apply for an alternative course or program. The best way to avoid being shut out of a course or program is to complete your application as early as possible.
Can I apply for more than 1 course/program?
Yes, if you want to attend two courses or programs that do not conflict, add both of those to your application. Do NOT create multiple logins/applications for more than 1 program. Do not apply for 1st/2nd/3rd choices, only apply for your 1st choice program. Students applying for the Summer Quarter Undergraduate Course Offerings who want to live in the dorm should review the program's housing requirements. Students applying for UChicago Immersion and Arts & Sciences Summer in Chicago are automatically eligible for residency if they choose. Housing is required for students applying for Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS), Stones and Bones, and Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars; housing will automatically be added to your account.
I attended the program last summer; how do I reapply?

Students who have attended a previous Summer Session are required to provide their personal information in the online application, the application fee, and updated school transcripts. You do not need to write new essays, solicit new recommendations, or submit another writing sample; simply put "Summer 2016" as the first/last names of the recommenders and in the essay fields (leave the recommender email fields blank).

One exception: Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS) applicants must submit an entirely new application, including essays, recommendations, and transcripts, even if they were wait-listed last year, or if they attended another Summer Session program.

Can you waive the application fee?
All students are required to submit the application fee, including students who are applying for a scholarship. Please remember that our partial tuition scholarship covers up to 50% of tuition for one or two courses; we cannot offer any additional scholarships for the remaining tuition, or any of the costs for housing, dining, fees, books, etc. However, there is no fee to apply for the Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars program. The only exception is for students applying through specific Community Based Organizations with whom we have a partnership. These organizations include: Ivy League Connection, Minds Matter, and Summer of a Lifetime. Students applying through these programs should contact the organization for details. No other programs or students are currently eligible for a fee waiver.
Are scholarships or financial aid available?
Yes, based upon a student’s financial need, we do award partial tuition scholarships of up to 50% of tuition for one or two courses. Students who apply for a scholarship must complete this application as part of their admissions application, so that the scholarship determination can be included in the offer of admission. We do not offer scholarships to cover housing, dining, or fees.
I am home schooled. What should I submit for my transcript and letters of recommendation?
Some homeschooled students participate in externally accredited programs that provide transcripts, and have tutors who can write their letters of recommendation. Those who work solely with their parents or other relatives, however, should send a detailed description of their course of study since the equivalent of 9th grade (including subject areas, texts or other materials used, and types of assignments completed), as well as letters of recommendation written by adults who are not family members, such as the student’s coach, pastor, employer, or volunteer coordinator. Letters of recommendation written by someone related to the student are strongly discouraged.
What if I need to change information submitted in my application?
If you submitted information that needs to be changed or corrected, please email your full legal name and the changes needed to
How do I apply for housing and meals?
On-campus housing is required for, Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS), Arts and Sciences Summer in Chicago, College Pathway Program in Economics, Stones and Bones, and Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars; you cannot opt out of housing for these programs. For UChicago Immersion, Arts & Sciences in Chicago and Summer Quarter Undergraduate Course Offerings, your online application will have the option to select on-campus living (i.e., in the dorms), or commuting to campus. The costs for housing also include dining, as all residential high school students are enrolled in the required meal plan.
What if I don't have an email address for my recommender?
We encourage online submission of recommendations, but recommenders may also download the Teacher Recommendation Form (PDF) to be mailed. It is important that written recommendations include the rankings requested on our PDF. Please collect any paper recommendations in a sealed envelope and submit them with your other supplemental materials.
My recommender did not receive the link to the recommendation. What should we do?
Send us an email, including your name, the recommender's name, and the recommender’s email address, to, and we will resend the request.
How do I change one of my recommenders?

If your application has not been submitted, you can make this change yourself.

If you have submitted your online application, send an email with the name of the person you want removed to We will mark your application un-submitted so that you can add the new recommender. Your recommenders cannot share their link with another recommender, as it is a unique link connecting their recommendation to your application. Doing so will erase the first recommender's letter.

Should I wait until both of my recommendations are on file before submitting my application?
No, the letters will be added to your application once they are submitted. You should not delay submitting the online portion of your application while you wait for them.
Can I submit an electronic transcript?

If a student’s school subscribes to Parchment, the student should log in and use the “other individual” option to email an official electronic transcript to Naviance will only send transcripts to (undergraduate) College Admissions and these will not be received by Summer Session.

Emailed PDFs, photocopies, and printouts of online records are not considered official school transcripts, even if they come directly from the school. A physical official school transcript (also known as a “hard copy”) comes from the school, often in a sealed envelope, and has either official stationery, or an imprinted seal, stamp, or signature that cannot be duplicated. It is standard for admission into college programs.

I have attended more than one school since 9th grade. Should I only send my most current school's transcripts?

Transcripts should include the student's entire academic record for 9th through 11th grades, as applicable, and students who have attended more than one school for these grades should submit one official transcript for each school.

However, since most schools keep an official transcript of the previous school on file, we will accept a copy of a previous school's transcript if it comes as part of the current school's official school transcript.

How do I apply for a TOEFL waiver?

You may request a waiver of the English language proficiency requirement if:

  • You are a native of the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand; or a native of and have studied in English-medium schools in Canada, India, Hong Kong, or South Africa.
  • You have studied in full-time status for at least two academic years within the last five years in the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or English medium universities in Canada or South Africa, engaging in a regular academic curriculum taught in English (in other words, not engaged in English as a Second Language or similar coursework).
  • You must submit transcripts that demonstrate that you meet the conditions for a waiver of the English language proficiency requirement.
  • Students who have studied in English in other countries (for example, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, or Singapore) are not exempt from the English language proficiency requirement.

If you meet the above conditions for eligibility, please submit a written request for a waiver of the requirement to and enter "00" as your TOEFL scores on your application. (The system will not allow you to submit an application without entering TOEFL scores.)

You will receive a confirmation of your waiver eligibility via email.

Eligible students may still be required to participate in a Skype interview.

My application materials were delivered this morning, why aren't they showing in my online account?
Please give us 2 business days to process all mail. Packages are received in the building's mailroom and must then be distributed, received, and processed. The online system will be updated in the late afternoon each day. For example, if delivery confirmation shows the package was delivered at 5 pm on Monday, you should see the materials marked in your online account by 5 pm CST Wednesday.

Preparing to Attend and Orientation Questions

What happens during Summer Programs for High School Students Orientation, and when is it?

All Summer Session 2017 students, both residential (those living in the dorm) and commuter (those not living in the dorm), must attend Orientation. Orientation for Arts and Sciences Summer in Chicago, UChicago Immersion, Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS), Stones and Bones, Summer Session Undergraduate Courses, and Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars Session I is Saturday-Sunday, June 17-18; Orientation for Session II is Saturday-Sunday, July 8-9. Orientation for College Pathways Program in Economics Session I is Sunday, June 25; orientation for Session II is Sunday, July 16. Residential students arriving after July 16 for later sessions will be oriented when they arrive and should note that the overwhelming majority of high school students leave by July 30.

Orientation begins at Campus North Residential Commons (5500 S. University Avenue-see a campus map for the location). Orientation is required for all students, as you will be receiving a general orientation to the campus as well as to the expectations of the program. You will also have a chance to meet the other students in the program and our program staff. Parents are welcome to attend Orientation on Saturday before 4 pm, but all events after 4 pm on Saturday and all day Sunday are for students only. For the Pathway Program in Economics, parents are welcome to attend Orientation on Sunday before 3 pm, but after 3 pm, all events are for students only.

Residential students: For Session I, arrive between 9 am and 12 pm to check into the dorm and settle into your rooms. Due to the cleaning and turnover of rooms from Session I, students arriving for Session II will not be able to check into their rooms until after 12 pm; you may check in with the Summer Session staff at the dorm between 9 am and 12 pm for orientation, and store your belongings in a secure location until your room is ready. Formal presentations will begin at 2 pm on both days. For Pathway Program in Economics, formal presentations begin at 1pm. Both Saturday and Sunday of Orientation are required for residential students for students in Arts and Sciences Summer in Chicago, UChicago Immersion, Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS), Stones and Bones, Summer Session Undergraduate Courses, and Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars.

Commuter students: You are required to attend on Saturday only, and should arrive between 12 and 1 pm to check in with Summer Session staff at North Campus Residential Commons before the afternoon's formal presentations at 2 pm; all events after 4 pm on Saturday and all day Sunday are optional for commuter students. Commuter students in the Summer Quarter Undergraduate Course Offerings program who are taking courses that begin on or after July 26 should attend Orientation on July 8.

What if I arrive late, and miss all or part of Orientation?

You will get the most out of Orientation if you follow the prescribed schedule, and arrive on campus during the dates and times described in the question above. However, if you know in advance that unavoidable circumstances will force you to arrive late, whether you are a commuter or residential student, you must email the Summer Session Office. This is particularly important if you are a residential student, so that we know when to expect you. We will work with you to make sure that you get the information you need.

Please note that international students who find that airline flight schedules are such that they cannot arrive on a Saturday morning must request permission in advance for early arrival; if your petition is granted, you will be allowed to check in to the dorm on Friday evening. Please complete the Early Arrival Petition by June 1, 2017 if you are eligible to request this accommodation.

If you are unexpectedly delayed in transit and arrive on campus between 2 and 4 pm, please see the Summer Session representative at Campus North Residential Commons immediately, so that you may get settled and catch up with the other students. If you will not arrive on campus until after 4 pm, please call the Campus North Residential Commons Front Desk at 773/834-2401 and ask to speak to a member of the Graham School's Summer Session staff, so that we will be ready to meet you upon your arrival.

Can you put me in touch with someone in my area for carpooling/flying together?
While we don't have the resources to manage that type of service, students can and do use the Summer Session Facebook page to connect prior to arriving. Students who will be flying as unaccompanied minors should check with their airline before departure about any special arrangements that need to be made.
How do I get to the University of Chicago?

See the University's directions to determine how best to get to campus by plane, bus, train, or car. You can also print out maps of campus, Hyde Park, and the surrounding area. For the Summer Programs for High School Students Orientation, you will need to come to the Campus North Residential Commons (5500 S University Avenue). Driving instructions can be found on the University's maps & direction webpage.

Go Airport Express operates out of both Midway and O'Hare Airports, and will drop you off right in front of the dorm. To schedule a pick-up, go to call 1-888-284-3826 (press option 1 to be connected to an operator immediately). When you get on the shuttle, let the driver know that you want to get dropped off at Campus North Residential Commons. Go Airport Express can also pick you up again when you leave for home.

Students who will be flying as unaccompanied minors should check with their airline before departure about any special arrangements that need to be made.

Where do I park on campus?
Street parking is available on and nearby campus, although it is less plentiful on weekdays. For short-term parking, check the campus parking map to see what visitor parking locations would be most convenient for you. The University maintains a pay-by-the-hour garage at Ellis and 55th Street. Most lots are for staff and faculty only. The University does not have discounted parking for students.
Can I bring my car or motorcycle with me?
Summer Session students should be aware of the limited availability of parking on campus. There is a pay-per-use parking garage at 55th and Ellis, but there are no dedicated lots for student parking. Street parking is also available. High school students are prohibited from transporting other students in their motor vehicles.

Class and Registration Questions

Another program conflicts with part of my course. Can I arrive late/leave early?
In the past few years we have noticed a trend of students asking to miss substantial coursework by arriving late or leaving early- essentially, they are overbooking themselves during the summer. It is imperative that you commit fully to our program or any other you choose to attend. If you are thinking that you would be fine to arrive late or leave early, you should remember:
  • Each Summer Session course is the equivalent to 10 weeks of undergraduate course work, condensed, which makes every 1–2 days the equivalent of an entire week’s instruction during the regular academic year.
  • Your professor is not required to help you catch up and it is not fair to them or to your classmates to expect class be tailored to your schedule.
  • These courses and grades are recorded on a UChicago transcript; the majority of college applications, including the Common App, will require you to submit this transcript to colleges when you apply.
  • High school students are required to take all classes for a quality grade and missing more than a day will have a significant and adverse impact on your grade for the class.

In other words, for your own benefit, we will require you to attend the entire course(s) to which you have committed yourself.

Do I get credit for Summer Session courses?
All courses open to high school students are graded and carry undergraduate-level course numbers. The University of Chicago works on a quarter system, as opposed to many universities that are on a semester system. Each University of Chicago course is the equivalent to 5 quarter credit hours in our system. When comparing us to a university on a semester system, those 5 quarter credit hours would be the equivalent of 3.3 semester credit hours.
What happens if the course(s) I want to take are canceled?
Sometimes, either because the instructor can no longer teach the class or because an insufficient number of students have enrolled for a class, a course is canceled. If you apply for a course that has been canceled, you will be contacted by our office and asked if you would like to apply for an alternative course or program. If you have already been registered for a course that is subsequently canceled, you will be notified by our office, and, if you do not wish to take another course in its place, your tuition deposit will be returned to you.
How long will I be in class? How much homework will I have?
When considering how much work you will have, bear in mind that Summer Session courses are intensive and rigorous, and are equivalent to courses that last ten weeks during the rest of the academic year (as opposed to three to five weeks). Your daily schedule will depend on your courses. Summer Quarter Undergraduate Course Offerings and Arts & Sciences Summer in Asia students should consult the days and times listed under the descriptions of their courses. UChicago Immersion, Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars, Arts & Sciences Summer in Chicago and Research in the Biological Sciences students can expect to have a full day of course-related activity, Monday through Friday, with a break for lunch. Stones and Bones students will have daily schedules that will vary according to the program's current activities.
How large is a typical class?
Courses in the College during Summer Quarter generally vary from 5 to 45 students. Class sizes are usually smaller than during other quarters of the year, making for a more intimate classroom environment. UChicago Immersion enrollment limits range from 15–24 students. Stones and Bones cannot have more than 15 students and Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS) has a maximum of 40. Arts & Sciences programs in Asia & Chicago each has a limit of 20.
I'd like to attend classes in August. Why isn't there an Orientation?
The overwhelming majority of our students are on campus in the first 6 weeks: June 19–July 28. There will be a small handful of high school students studying here in August, but most of them will be continuing their courses, not arriving at that time. The majority of students on campus at that time will be undergraduates from UChicago and other institutions. The RAs continue to plan activities for the high school students on campus through the end of August. The August courses are ideal for students who wish to focus primarily on their studies, but not for those who want a full social experience along with academic work. Students who move in after the July orientation will receive an individual welcome and informal orientation by the RAs. Students are still encouraged to move in on the Saturday before classes begin.
What if I need to withdraw from the program entirely?
Students who wish to withdraw completely from the program must inform the Summer Session Office immediately via email. Tuition refunds decrease with the lateness of the withdrawal date. Room and board charges cannot be refunded or prorated after June 1. Other fees (such as the Student Life Fee) and the tuition deposit are not refunded to students who choose to withdraw.
How do I know the course(s) in which I am registered?
We will register your for the course(s) listed on your Student Confirmation Form, which is included with the PDF acceptance packet that will be downloaded from the online accounts of students who have been accepted. If you need to make a change to your enrollment, email You will receive an email confirmation of your course change. After June 12, you should log in to myUChicago to review your registration and personal details.
What are the dates/days/times of classes?
Please see your individual program page and/or course listing. Students accepted into the program will also find this information in their online account on the Student Confirmation Form that they and their parent/guardian sign to confirm participation in the program. After June 12, you should log in to myUChicago to review your registration and personal details.
Can I get my books before classes start?
You will find links to the two campus bookstores, with your course's textbook information, at This allows you to budget for your books and to procure them ahead of time if you wish. Unless you are contacted by your instructors via email prior to your arrival on campus, however, you are not expected to have your books and other course materials before you get to campus. When you arrive, you can go to the UChicago Bookstore or the Seminary Co-op Bookstore to buy your books.
Are there classes on Independence Day (July 4th)?
If July 4th falls on a weekday, classes will not be held and University administrative offices will also be closed. You should note, however, that the University will not be closed on any other days surrounding July 4. You should expect to be in class on these days unless your instructor tells you otherwise.
Will I receive a University email address?
Once you are admitted to the Summer Programs for High School Students, you will be given information about how to claim a "" email address. This will be active while you are at the University and for a short time after you leave. There are email stations and computers in the lab that you can use to check your mail. You will need your email handle (the ID you use, such as "jsmith"; also known as your CNet ID) and password in order to obtain your grades, update your addresses, etc. via myUChicago, the University's academic portal. Keep a record of this information after you leave the University of Chicago.
Should I bring a computer with me?
Many students find that they prefer to bring their own laptop, netbook, or tablet, so that they may have easy access any time of the day or night, wherever they might be. However, there are computer terminals and printing facilities available for student use throughout campus. The main campus computing clusters support both PC and Mac platforms. Each building in Campus North Residential Commons has a 24-hour computing lab equipped with Macs, PCs, and Internet access. All areas on campus are configured for wireless internet access. If you choose to bring your own computer, and it is not able to connect wirelessly, when you arrive on campus you will get the necessary information to configure your computer via ethernet cable from your room. Wireless or ethernet access also enables you to print from your room to the printer at the dormitory front desk. Black and white printing and copying costs 13 cents per page, funds can be loaded onto your campus ID card. Please visit for instructions, costs for other types of printing and other information. Having a jump drive (a USB key) is a good idea just in case the printing network falters. That way you can easily move your documents to other computers if necessary. For more information on campus computing, please visit the campus computing website.
Where do I go for my class?
Classroom assignments can be found in “Class Search” via myUChicago. They will be posted in May, when the Registrar's Office makes Summer Quarter room assignments. See the campus map to locate the building in which your course will take place. If you are living in the dorm, your RA can help you locate your class. If you have a question about classroom assignments (e.g., your course does not seem to have a room assigned to it, when other room assignments seem to have already been made), you should contact the Registrar's Office at 773.702.7883.
Can I add or drop courses?
Because Summer Session courses are very brief and very intensive, we strongly encourage students to consider their choices very carefully before they apply. Bear in mind that after the first day or two of a course, you will have a very difficult time making up the material you will have missed in the course you are adding. Once courses have started, you will only be allowed to add/drop a course under very special circumstances. Review the Academic Policies and email the Summer Session Office if you need to discuss adding or dropping a course.
Can I take the class Pass/Fail or Audit a course?
All participants in the Summer Programs for High School Students, including those taking Summer Quarter Undergraduate Course Offerings, must take their courses for a quality (A, B, C, etc.) grade; R (Audit) and P (Pass) are not considered quality grades for these programs. Review the Academic Policies and email the Summer Session Office with any questions.
What happens if I am unable to finish my course work during the scheduled course dates due to an illness or other unforeseen situation?

Students who find themselves in extreme circumstances, such as a sudden illness or other emergency, should seek advice from the Summer Session Office about the best options for their particular situation. In situations such as these, the Summer Session Office may grant permission for a student to take a course for a P (Pass) or an I (Incomplete). Students must receive written permission from the Summer Session Office before they can receive a grade of P (Pass) or I (Incomplete) for a course; the instructor’s permission alone is not sufficient. Review the Academic Policies and email the Summer Session Office if such a situation arises.

The mark P (Pass) is intended for a student who has (1) completed the requirements of a course with work that is of a passing quality, and (2) participated actively in the course.

The student must first petition the Summer Session Office at If permission is granted, the Summer Session Office will provide the student with an Incomplete Form to be filled out, signed by the instructor, and returned by the student to the Summer Session Office. This form will describe the student’s arrangements with the instructor to complete the remaining work, including a deadline for completion. Incompletes must be finished within a period of time agreed upon between student and instructor (which must be no longer than one year). If the student completes the course work within the specified time period, the instructor will report a grade for the course, which will be entered on the student’s transcript following the Incomplete; even after the work has been completed, the Incomplete remains on the student’s academic record. If the course work has not been completed within the specified time period, the student will receive a W (Withdrawn) for the course, unless the instructor has indicated on the Incomplete Form that another grade should be assigned in this eventuality.

The mark I (Incomplete) is intended for a student who has not completed the requirements of a course before the end of the quarter but who has (1) completed the majority of the requirements of the course with work that is of a passing quality, and (2) participated actively in the course. The student must first petition the Summer Session Office at If permission is granted, the Summer Session Office will provide the student with an Incomplete Form to be filled out, signed by the instructor, and returned by the student to the Summer Session Office. This form will describe the student’s arrangements with the instructor to complete the remaining work, including a deadline for completion. Incompletes must be finished within a period of time agreed upon between student and instructor (which must be no longer than one year). If the student completes the course work within the specified time period, the instructor will report a grade for the course, which will be entered on the student’s transcript following the Incomplete; even after the work has been completed, the Incomplete remains on the student’s academic record. If the course work has not been completed within the specified time period, the student will receive a W (Withdrawn) for the course, unless the instructor has indicated on the Incomplete Form that another grade should be assigned in this eventuality.

How do I transfer credit for Summer Session courses to another university?
You must make your own arrangements with other institutions about the possible transfer of any University of Chicago credit earned while taking Summer Session courses; transferability of credit to another institution is at the discretion of that institution. Please note that your grades will not be sent to your university or any other institution unless you request a transcript. Transcripts for Summer Session courses are available from the Registrar's Office beginning in mid-September. If the student's primary goal is to take a university course with undergraduate students and have the best chance of using that credit towards their undergraduate degree, the Summer Quarter Undergraduate Course Offerings is the best program for them. Our courses that are only open to high school students are very difficult to transfer to a degree requirement. This is primarily because undergraduate courses are survey courses and are very broad in scope. The high school-only programs are very narrow in their focus and allow students to dig deeply into one subject; they are not survey courses. Regardless of the program in which you enroll, the decision to apply credit from another institution towards a degree requirement is made by each university.
When do I get my grades?
Student grades are made available by the Office of the University Registrar in mid-September, regardless of when your courses took place during Summer Session. Students receive their grades online via their myUChicago account, so be sure to retain your CNet ID and password after you leave campus. The University of Chicago does not mail paper grade reports. Students who are "restricted" will not have access to their grades, either online or via transcripts. The most common reasons for restriction are a delinquent account at the University Bursar's Office, overdue library materials, or failure to comply with immunization requirements. Students whose grades do not appear in myUChicago should call the Registrar's Office at 773.702.7902. The Summer Session Office does not process student grades and cannot issue grade reports or transcripts; you must access your grades through myUChicago. Grade reports will not be sent to your home institution; you must request a transcript.
How do I request a transcript?
Please log in to myUChicago to request a transcript from the Registrar's Office. The Student Life fee includes a lifetime transcript fee which allows you to request as many transcripts as you like over an indefinite period of time. The Summer Session Office cannot issue transcripts, only the Registrar's Office can act in this capacity. If you no longer have access to your myUChicago account, instructions are provided on the Registrar's website.

Campus Life Questions

How much pocket money should I bring?
How much pocket money a student will need varies according to the needs and habits of the individual, so it is difficult to give a precise figure. You will need to be able to pay for your books and course materials (which can sometimes cost as much as $100 to $200 per course), so make sure that you budget for that expense. Furthermore, all students like to go on outings to restaurants, movies, plays, and other destinations, both informally and with their RA groups We try to ensure a free or low-cost activity is available daily, but you will want to have some money for these sorts of activities as well. You should not carry large amounts of cash. Traveler's checks, a prepaid debit card (available for purchase from most banks; please note these can be used for purchases but not to get cash out of ATMs), or an ATM card (there is a CitiBank branch with ATMs on campus) are safer alternatives.
What will I do outside of class on nights and weekends?
The Residential Staff plans daily activities for students to get to know each other, the campus, neighborhood, and city of Chicago. All events planned by the residential staff are led by a staff member. A variety of programs are offered, including low and no-cost programs to suit a wide range of interests, from which students can pick and choose. Previous year’s events have included trips to Major League Baseball games, the Taste of Chicago, midnight soccer, museums, beach trips, Movies on the Midway, and much more.
What facilities are available during the summer?
All students in the Summer Programs for High School students have access to all of the amenities of the University of Chicago during the Summer Session while they are attending courses. The Student Life Fee helps cover these amenities, such as the Student Health Service, the athletics facilities, and libraries. Please review the Student Services page for resources available in and around Hyde Park.
What are the campus and neighborhood like?

The University of Chicago has a gorgeous 203-acre campus, characterized by Gothic architecture, large oak trees, and seasonal plantings. The Campus North Residential Commons is only 2 blocks from the main academic quadrangle and is a five- to ten-minute walk to almost every campus facility you will be using. The campus is located in Hyde Park, a diverse community of more than 41,000 people, and it has many of the qualities of a college town in the midst of one of the nation's great urban areas.

Although the University is just eight miles from downtown Chicago, Hyde Park is a wonderful residential community with a unique feel, complete with parks, Victorian homes, and tree-lined streets. Sixty-five percent of the University faculty and their families live in Hyde Park. Each year, Summer Session students give high compliments to both the campus and its surrounding community. University students report that they feel comfortable in their surroundings, although Summer Session students should remember that they are in an urban environment, and are encouraged to use common sense while on campus, in the neighborhood, or in other parts of Chicago. The campus security office publishes a very useful brochure, called Common Sense, which all students are encouraged to read. It contains helpful hints for anyone not familiar with urban living and for newcomers to the University of Chicago community. Orientation to the campus, facilities, city, and safety is also featured during Orientation and/or the first few days of Sessions I and II.

What if I need medical care?
If a student needs to see a primary care physician, s/he can go to the Student Health Service on campus at no cost. After business hours, there is also an on-call physician that students can call for limited medical advice (usually the physician makes a recommendation as to whether the student should go to the emergency room or wait until morning to see a doctor). This is a limited service as doctors only speak with students over the phone and do not physically examine them. Students living in the dorm in need of medical attention should inform a member of the residential staff, so that the staff can assist the student in making any necessary arrangements, including finding a staff member to accompany the student to Student Health Service. The University of Chicago Medical Center is on-campus (about four blocks from the dorm) and ranks among the nation's highest-rated hospitals. If there is a medical emergency, students can call 911, the campus police (773.702.8181), or contact a staff member to request an ambulance. Each student's room has a list of emergency numbers, and emergency procedures are reviewed during orientation. Residential staff members are also available to help facilitate and may expedite the process of receiving medical attention. If an ambulance is not necessary, an RA can walk with the student to the emergency room or call a cab and ride with them. RAs will stay in the emergency room with your son/daughter until they receive medical attention and accompany them back to the dormitory. All parents of minors are required to submit a release form authorizing necessary medical treatment in the case that the parent/guardian cannot be reached. This release is provided to parents after their son/daughter has been accepted to the program.
How can I be contacted while on campus, including during an emergency?

To contact students in the nonemergency circumstances, use one of the methods below:

By Mail

(Student's name)

Attn. Summer Conference—Summer Session
Campus North Residential Commons Room XX
5500 South University Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637

Please do not send mail and packages for students to the Summer Session Office. Mail is delivered once a day Monday through Friday, usually in the afternoon, and can be picked up at the front desk of the dorm 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The front desk will sign for all priority packages (24 hours/day) and these will be held under the student’s name. You should leave a forwarding address with the front desk when you check out of the dorms after your program has ended.

By Telephone

Many students bring their own cell phones with them; we recommend that you check with your provider before your student arrives on campus to make sure that your service will work in this area. Each residence hall room comes equipped with a single-line telephone, which allows on-campus, local, domestic long-distance, and incoming calls at no charge. Students are welcome to bring their own telephones, answering machines, or other devices to connect to their lines. International long-distance calls require a calling card.

If there is an emergency and you cannot reach your child directly via his or her personal cell phone or email address, you can contact the Campus North Residential Commons front desk (773.834.2401) and ask them to contact the Graham School Summer Session's senior staff member on call.

By Email

All students will create a University of Chicago email address by claiming their CNet ID and password; details will be provided once a student is accepted. It is the student’s responsibility to give his or her email address to his or her parent(s) or guardian(s).

In the Event of an Emergency

Our staff will do their best to contact students in the event of an emergency, but please remember that while you are on campus, you may be in class, in the library, at a coffee shop, or at numerous other locations on a sizable campus. Even if you live in the dorm, our residential staff will not be aware of your exact whereabouts at all times, particularly before curfew. We recommend that you provide your family with a record of your class schedule, so that they will have some idea of where you will be at certain times. Please note that our staff will pull you out of class only in very extreme circumstances.

Commuter Students: If a very serious situation arises and a parent needs to reach a commuter student during business hours (Monday–Friday, 8:30 am–4:30 pm), the Summer Session Office (773.702.6033) may be able to help locate a student who is in class. Once again, we will only pull students out of class in very extreme circumstances. If the student is elsewhere on campus, however, we may not be able to help, although we will do what we can.

Residential Students: If a parent needs to contact a residential student in the event of an emergency, and cannot reach their child in his/her room, they can leave a message with the Campus North Residential Commons Front Desk: 773.834.2401. The front desk can be contacted 24 hours a day, and has a file folder where students can check for phone messages. The front desk can transfer callers to a resident's room, but will not give out telephone numbers.

If for some reason you are unable to reach anyone using the numbers above, and your situation is a very serious one, you may call the University Police at 773.702.8181. Please use this number only in case of an emergency when it is absolutely essential to reach your student. The number is staffed 24 hours a day, but it will alert both the University Police and the dean-on-call, who should only be asked to respond to a crisis situation.

Housing Questions

When can I move in?
Summer 2017 Programs for High School Students should check in to the dorm between 9 am and 12 pm on either Saturday, June 17 or Saturday, July 8, depending on whether you are taking Session I or Session II classes; Session II students should note that, due to the turnover of rooms from Session I, they will not be able to actually move into their rooms until after 12 pm, but will be provided with a secure location in which to store their belongings if they arrive before noon. Orientation activities begin at 2 pm, so you should arrive for check-in before this time.
Can I move in before Orientation?

Residence Halls and Commons (the office that manages the dorms here on campus) work diligently to clean and prepare rooms up until the day students move in and, therefore, cannot permit students to check into Campus North Residential Commons early. Participants in the Summer 2017 Programs for High School Students may check in no earlier than the Saturday before your classes start (June 17 for Session I students; July 8 for Session II students).

The only possible exception would be for international students who find that flight schedules do not permit them to arrive on Saturday morning before Orientation starts at 2 pm. These international students must submit an Early Arrival Petition by June 1 by email ( or by fax (773.834.0549). A decision will be emailed within 48 hours. Students should not make travel arrangements prior to receiving approval from the Summer Session Office. You cannot move in earlier than the Friday evening before Orientation; all requests for an arrival prior to that date will be rejected. A $150 early arrival fee will be assessed which only includes accommodations; no activities or meals will be provided for that evening; after June 1, the fee increases to $200.

Students under 18 are not allowed to check in to a hotel without an adult over 18. Therefore, no minors should plan to arrive unaccompanied by an adult prior to their move-in date.

When do I have to move out?
You must check out of the dorm by 9 am on the Saturday after your classes end. Late departure is not allowed for any student. Students whose flights are in the afternoon on the Saturday of checkout will have a secure space to store their belongings until they leave for the airport. Students who check out before the Saturday morning after their courses end must have a Curfew Release Form on file 24 hours in advance. See the Residential Policies section of this website for more information.

You should expect to be in class for the full scheduled time on the last day of classes and may move out any time after your last class. For example, if your last class is on Thursday, July 13, then you may check out on Thursday after class, and must do so by 9 am on Saturday, July 15. Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS), UChicago Immersion, Stones and Bones, Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars, and Arts and Sciences Summer in Chicago students should expect to be in class until 4 pm on the last day of class.

How many students live on campus vs. commute?
The majority of students in our programs come from outside of the Chicago area, including a substantial international population, and live on campus. Staying in the dorms provides students with the full undergraduate experience, including personal and academic support from the Residential Assistants and other students. However, a significant number of commuter students do attend our programs and are encouraged to participate in a variety of activities with the residential students. At Orientation, commuter students will have the opportunity to sign up for an email distribution list to receive updates on activities organized by the residential staff.
What is the residential staff like?
We have a very capable and enthusiastic staff who are current students or recent graduates of the University of Chicago. Their main responsibility during Summer Session is to make sure students feel comfortable and to assist them with academic, residential, and extracurricular matters. Much of the staff works with University of Chicago undergraduates during the regular school year and some also have previous experience with our high school summer program. They all live in the dormitory on the same floors as the students, and there is a specific RA on duty throughout the evening until the morning. Staff members also eat in the dining facility and look forward to touching base with students over meals. Our Residential Program Director and Assistant Residential Program Director take turns being on call 24 hours a day. If a student experiences any sort of problem, be it social or academic, the student can go to his or her RA for advice and assistance. Students can also go to the front desk of the dormitory and speak with one of the attendants if they are having specific problems with the dormitory facility itself.
What are the requirements to live in housing?
High school students must be enrolled as full-time Summer Session students to live in our dorms. The Stones and Bones, Arts and Sciences Summer in Chicago, Research in the Biological Sciences, and the Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars programs are full-time programs; each UChicago Immersion course is full-time as well. For the Summer Quarter Undergraduate Course Offerings, students must be enrolled in two concurrent courses for full-time status.
Can I change my housing arrangements (add/drop weeks or withdraw)?
Once you send in the Student Confirmation Form to confirm your participation as a residential student in the Summer Programs for High School Students, housing and dining arrangements will be made for you. These arrangements become final and binding on June 1. Charges associated with housing and dining cannot be refunded or reduced after this date. If you change your housing and dining arrangements (e.g., reduce your number of weeks or withdraw from housing altogether) after June 1, no matter when your program starts, you will be held liable for all charges associated with your original arrangements. Housing may be added after June 1 if space permits. Housing and dining arrangements added after June 1 are considered final on the date that they are made, and you will be liable for all associated charges.
What is the dormitory like?
Students will live in Campus North Residential Commons, which opened in 2016 and offers single and double rooms. Each floor is accessible by elevator and has a community bathroom. Different sections of the living area, including the community bathrooms, will be segregated by sex. All rooms are fully furnished with an extra-long twin bed, desk and chair, dresser, book shelves, lighting, carpeting, window treatments and a single-line telephone. Amenities include: air conditioning, weekly linen exchange, multiple lounges and kitchens, two courtyards, computer study rooms, music practice rooms, a two-story reading room, laundry facilities, wireless internet service, vending and ice machines, and 24-hour front desk service.
Is the dorm coed?
The overall dorm is coed, but rooms and different sections of the dorm, including community bathrooms, are single-sex.
What is my room like?
The rooms in Campus North Residential Commons are well-lit with overhead lighting. Each student will have his/her own closet, extra-long twin bed (36” x 80”), dresser, chair, desk, shelf, and wastebasket. Students should bring their own clothes hangers, irons, laundry detergent, and other housekeeping basics. The rooms have windows that can be opened and are covered by window treatments. All University dorms have WiFi throughout the building. Each student will be provided with a flat and fitted sheet, a coverlet and/or blanket, pillow, pillowcase, and towels. Linens may be exchanged every Friday morning from 7 am to 1 pm in the main lobby of Campus North Residential Commons. You may also bring your own linens if you prefer, but personal linens are not eligible for the weekly linen exchange. You will be responsible for keeping your room (including bathroom facilities) clean during your stay, but please immediately report any problems such as a stopped drain to the front desk staff.
Do I have to live with a roommate?
We do not have single rooms available for high school students and make every effort to assign roommates whose move-in and move-out dates correspond. Given that Summer Session courses are of differing lengths, you may be by yourself in a room for a portion of your stay, even if you are assigned to a double.
Can I request a specific roommate?
Yes, if you know of someone of the same sex who will also be attending Summer Session during the same Session, you can request to room together. Both parties should send an email to the Summer Session Office. We cannot guarantee that your request will be granted, but we will do our best to accommodate you.
When will I find out who I'm rooming with?
Students will meet their roommate at Orientation. Our rooming assignments are not completed until after June 1 (when housing charges are final), so we simply don't have the time or resources to organize roommate matching before Orientation.
Do I need to bring linens with me?
The following linens are made available through the linen service, all fitted for extra-long twin beds (36" x 80"): coverlet and/or blanket, flat sheet, fitted sheet, pillow, pillowcase, bath towel, hand towel, and washcloth. You can have these exchanged for fresh linens at no cost once a week. Should you wish to bring your own linens or want the provided linens laundered more often, you will have to use the card-operated washers and dryers in the basement of the dorm. Detergent can be purchased on campus. If you require more than one pillow, would like to have something warmer than a summer-weight blanket, or prefer to have towels and sheets of a particular size, type, or quality, you will want to bring these items with you.
What should I bring with me to Chicago?

Chicago weather can vary widely, even during the summer. You should be prepared for the possibility of high heat (90–95 degrees Fahrenheit) and humidity. Light clothing, some things to wear as a warmer layer in case of cooler weather, and an umbrella or rain jacket will stand you in good stead. If you are living on campus, you will have linen service available; however, if you think you will want to have more than one pillow, more than a summer-weight blanket, or sheets and towels of a certain type or quality, you will want to pack accordingly. All beds are extra-long twins (36" x 80"). The dorms have card-operated laundry facilities linked to a smart phone app, but you will need to provide your own detergent, iron, and clothes hangers. You will not need a fan; the dorms are air-conditioned. Computing facilities are also available, as are phones, but you may bring your own computer and phone if you wish.

Some programs have special requirements to bear in mind when you pack: American Law and Litigation students should note that their course will include a trip to the Federal Court in Chicago. They should make sure to pack appropriate attire, as it is required to enter the court. No jeans, shorts, or sneakers are allowed. Men should wear shirts with collars; jackets and ties are optional. Women should wear shirts that cover their shoulders, underarms, and midriffs; skirts are optional, and must be fairly modest (i.e., no more than three inches above the knee). They will also need courtroom attire for the two days of mock trials that are part of the course. They do not need to buy a suit, but they should make an effort to dress as professionally as possible using their existing wardrobe.

Stones and Bones students should bear in mind that they will be in the field for almost two weeks and will need to travel light during this period. You will be permitted to store items in your dorm room while you are in the field. Please review the Stones and Bones packing list for details.

Can Stones and Bones students store their belongings during the field component of the program?
Stones and Bones students are housed together so that they can leave their belongings in their room, locked, while they are in the field. Their field gear will be packed on a truck and driven to the field site, and will be waiting for them when they arrive.
What is the curfew policy for students living on-campus?
Students staying in the dorm who are in one of the Summer Programs for High School Students or who are visiting students/undergraduates but are under the age of 18 must sign in for curfew every night. Following the City of Chicago curfew ordinance, summer residents must be inside the dormitory facility from 10 pm – 6 am, Sunday through Thursday, and from 11 pm–6 am, Friday and Saturday. Students who miss curfew sign-in, for whatever reason, will be subject to disciplinary action, and their parents will be contacted. Blatant disregard for the curfew even once is grounds for dismissal from the program. Please see the Academic, Social, and Residential Policies for more information about the curfew policy.

It is possible for parents to give permission for their children to miss curfew if they will be accompanied by an adult, including themselves, but excluding another Summer Session participant. Throughout the summer, parents should complete an accurate Curfew Release Form at least 24 hours prior to the requested release time. Students are still required to sign out at the front desk when they leave under the authority of the Curfew Release Form and they must sign in upon return. During the specified release times the University of Chicago will not assume responsibility for your children. During non-curfew hours, the residential staff does not supervise students, although many staff-sponsored extracurricular activities occur after classes, in the evenings, and on weekends.

How do I get my mail? Can I ship items to myself?
When you check in to the dorm, you will receive a room number. This will be part of your mailing address:

Your Name
Attn: Summer Conference-Summer Session
Campus North Residential Commons Room XX
5500 S. University Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637

Mail is delivered once a day, Monday through Friday, usually in the afternoon. Mail can be picked up at the front desk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The front desk will sign for all priority packages (24 hours/day). Students receiving packages will have a package slip under their name.

Packages should not be shipped prior to your arrival, or after your departure from the residence halls to avoid items being returned.

Can I smoke in my room or the dormitory?
No. There is no smoking allowed in individual rooms, halls, lounges, bathrooms, or other common areas in the dormitory. Smoking is prohibited in all University of Chicago buildings.
Can I have a friend or relative stay overnight in my dorm room?
No. Guests are welcome to visit; however, they cannot stay overnight in student rooms and must leave by 10 pm, no exceptions. All guests are also required to check-in at the front desk. High School Programs residents are not allowed to have non-program guests in their rooms after curfew, even if they are relatives. Hosts are always responsible for the behavior of campus guests who are expected, while they are visitors, to conform to the behavioral standards set for students at the University, as outlined in the policies section of this website.

Dining Questions

What if I have a vegetarian diet or food allergies?
The dining hall has vegetarian as well as vegan options available at every meal. Students with special dietary needs (such as kosher or halal diets, or food allergies) should let the Summer Session Office know when they confirm their admission into the program; we can accommodate your needs best if we know what they are in advance.
When is the dining facility open?
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served cafeteria-style seven days a week. You may come in for meals at any time during serving hours. These are: Breakfast: 7:30–9 am (continental breakfast available until 9:30 am); Lunch: 11:30 am–1:30 pm; Dinner: 5:45–7:45 pm
How far is the dining facility from the dorm?
The Frank and Laura Baker Dining Commons is adjacent to the Campus North Residential Commons.
What if I miss a meal?
If you miss a meal or you choose to eat off-campus, you will not get monetary credit or a make-up meal.

Financial Questions

What will be my total bill?
Costs vary greatly by program, number of courses taken, if/how long you live in housing, whether or not you need insurance, etc. Please use your personal situation, including course selection(s), housing dates, etc., to estimate your final bill with the costs provided on the Tuition, Billing, and Scholarships page. The Bursar's Office will issue bills at the end of June and payment will be due in mid-July, after Summer Session classes begin. Scholarship recipients must remember that scholarships only cover a portion of tuition and no scholarships are available for books, housing, or other program fees; the exact scholarship amount will be listed in the acceptance letter.
When and how do I pay my bill?

The Bursar's Office provides many helpful online tools for managing your account. To access these log in to myUChicago with your student, using their CNET ID and password (your CNet ID is your email handle, such as "jsmith"):

  • View account balances
  • Sign up for electronic (paperless) billing
  • Make a one-time electronic payment by entering your student ID number and bank account information (note: this is NOT the same page you used to pay the online tuition deposit)

Bills will be issued at the end of June and payment in full will be due in early July, after Summer Session courses have begun. Please see the Bursar's Office website for their billing timeline and policies.

Who do I contact with questions about billing, registration, and other administrative matters?

Please email the Summer Session Office for all program information and for questions about administrative matters such as billing and registration. Do not contact our office as a way to contact your student, however, as this is an administrative office, and we are not in close contact with students. Our office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm CST. Voicemail will record your message outside of business hours or at times of peak usage. We will return your call as soon as possible.

Summer Session Office
Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies
The University of Chicago
1427 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
phone: 773.834.3792
fax: 773.834.0549

Is a payment plan available?
No. Currently, the Bursar's Office can only offer payment plans to students enrolled in a degree-seeking program at UChicago.

Contact Us


1427 E 60th Street
Second Floor
Chicago, IL


UChicago Shield

Request More Information

Request additional information about
Summer Session programs.

Follow us & get in touch