Beginning Poetry Workshop
We are no longer admitting high school students to the 2018 Summer Session. Visiting undergraduate students are welcome to apply.
This course invites students to explore the most basic elements of writing poems. We'll practice traditional poetic devices, such as rhythm, figurative language, diction, and syntax, at the same time that we explore basic practices for generating and revising creative work. The class will consist of roughly 50% lecture / discussions and 50% workshop discussions of student writing. Readings will include a mix of canonical and contemporary poetry and essays on elements of poetic craft.
High School Students
- Students who apply will be admitted using rolling admission and require a $50 application fee.
- The Summer Session application deadline is May 1, 2018. Students may apply after this deadline, but will be required to pay an additional $100 rush processing fee.
- International students who will require a visa to attend, applications will be considered no later than April 9 in order to allow enough time to complete the visa application process.
- Rolling admissions: courses fill quickly, so submit your complete application as soon as possible.
- Enrollment limit is 12.
- Orientation for high school students is July 7-8.
Tuition is $4,400 per course. (Full-time registration is two courses taken during the same session.)
Additional fees apply; housing and dining costs not included.
Complete Cost & Aid Information (including housing and other fees) for high school students can be found here.
Complete Cost & Aid Information (including housing and other fees) for undergraduates can be found here.